A person who hacks into a computer network in order to test or evaluate its security, rather than with malicious or criminal intent.
So if you want to be an ethical hacker the truth is there is no easy method to become a skilled hacker…… it’s easy to be a script kiddie and load up Armitage or Fast-track and fire every exploit known to man at a target. But what’s the point at firing Linux exploits at a Windows box!.
You need essential prerequisite knowledge
If you want to get into the IT security world as a white hat you must be competent in the following areas:
- Operating systems (Linux and Windows)
Once you have a fairly good knowledge of the above points THEN it would a good idea to learn about hacking. So now you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of IT, you can now understand how to break some of the underlying vulnerabilities within computer architecture. The following activities should help you with this:
What areas to concentrate on in order to build a foundation
Networking – Cisco courses seem to be really good.
Programming – Focus on learning C++, Python/Ruby and PHP.
Databases – Play around with MySQL and MSSQL and make your own database to understand how it works.
Operating systems – Most flavors of Linux are the similar to one another, I use kali. Additionally it is worth understanding the more obscure areas of Windows such as the registry.
Read books about hacking (Here are some good examples of some) –
- The Web Application Hacker’s Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws – Download here
- Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition – Download here
- The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy-Download
- Mastering Kali Linux with Advanced Penetration Testing – Download here
- CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide + PDF and tools
- Google Hacking for Penetration Testers – Download here
Undertake FREE ethical hacking courses.
These are very good for learning but won’t give you an industry recognized qualification, however they will teach you a lot about different areas of ethical hacking which will help towards recognized qualifications.
You can register for a free Cybrary account to do a free ethical hacking course at the following link –
Undertake Recognized Online courses
These course are all paid for, however they are industry recognized and will help you find a job in the IT security sector.
Communicate and follow other fellow IT security enthusiasts through the following mediums
- Forums (Register here at Haxf4rall Forums)
Self learn by watching online tutorials
Download practice environments to practice and hone newly learned skills
- DVWA (Dam Vulnerable Web Application) – visit their site
- Metasploitable2 – visit their site
- Samurai WTF – visit their site
Final note: Hacking is something that takes A LOT of your time!, be prepared to sacrifice your social life / activities.