“In the context of information security, refers to psychological manipulation of people into performing actions or divulging confidential information.”
A type of confidence trick for the purpose of information gathering, fraud, or system access, it differs from a traditional “con” in that it is often one of many steps in a more complex fraud scheme.
According to OWASP,
“Social engineering attacks are are typically carried out by email or by contacting users by phone and impersonating an authorized user, in an attempt to gain unauthorized access to a system or application.”
What is it?
1. Social Engineering is being a good actor.
2.Social Engineering is getting information by lying to other people.
Simple and easy way to perform Social Engineering Attack.
Example attack 1:
You can just walk at the front desk and ask who is you System administrator? If the staff said , Sir Francis Al Victoriano is our System administrator you can find him at room 321, then you find this man and said: Hi sir we have a Security Service to your Server can i get to your computer and test it while waiting you can take a break at canteen. If the server admins leave you can take advantage to steal information.
Example attack 2:
Our target is the of high profile website, you need a non suspicious email but try to use email by finding the web hosting of that website, like for example they are using web hosting gomommy.com you can use or buy slightly same domain name, like gomommyy.com as you can see i use double y. You can send a email and try to ask this Server Admin of gomommy.com you can reset you cpanel password to 1234qwerty. Gotcha if you notice if the the admin of website is careless you can get him.
Types of Attacks
1. Direct Approach
2. See important users
3. Technical Supports
4. Email Attacks
5. Social Media, Facebook/Twitter.
6. Phishing Attacks
7. IVR and Robocalls for Credit card information
Attack Social Media User | Guide
1. Protect your identity, use proxy, use other internet connection like Free wifi to avoid tracking.
2. Create fake email and facebook account, use Interesting account, like GIRL, BEAUTIFUL PICTURES, SINGLE, 21-23 YEARS OLD.
3. Select the Victim, know her friends or family before send an invitation to her/him.
4. Become a victim friends, chat and become close to her/him and get some sensitive info, then download photos, maybe you use infected site and post to her chat box.
Detecting and Stopping Attacks
1. Someone pressure you to make it quickly, be suspicious.
2. Someone asking important information
3. Some send email you, say’s you win $ 1million please put you bank details here.
1. Never share your password.
2. Verify contacts
3. Educate staff
4. Do not post personal information in any social media