Since ZMap is designed to perform comprehensive scans of the IPv4 address space, when you are running ZMap, please keep in mind that you are potentially scanning the ENTIRE IPv4 address space at over 1.4 million packets per second. So, before performing even small scans, you should contact the local network administrators and also follow the best practices.
- Coordinate closely with local network administrators to reduce risks and handle inquiries
- Verify that scans will not overwhelm the local network or upstream provider
- Signal the benign nature of the scans in web pages and DNS entries of the source addresses
- Clearly explain the purpose and scope of the scans in all communications
- Provide a simple means of opting out and honor requests promptly
- Conduct scans no larger or more frequent than is necessary for research objectives
- Spread scan traffic over time or source addresses when feasible