Whonix is a desktop operating system designed for advanced security and privacy. Whonix mitigates the threat of common attack vectors while maintaining usability. Online anonymity is realized via fail-safe, automatic, and desktop-wide use of the Tor network.
A heavily reconfigured Debian base is run inside multiple virtual machines, providing a substantial layer of protection from malware and IP address leaks. Commonly used applications are pre-installed and safely pre-configured for immediate use.
The user is not jeopardized by installing additional applications or personalizing the desktop. Whonix is under active development and is the only operating system designed to be run inside a VM and paired with Tor.
After approximately one year of development, the Whonix Project is proud to announce the release of Whonix 15.
Whonix 15 is based on the Debian
10) distribution. This means users have access to many new software packages in concert with existing packages, such as a modern branch of GNuPG, and more.
Major Changes and New Features
- port Whonix from Debian stretch to Debian buster
- kernel hardening
- Blacklist uncommon network protocols
- systemd unit sandboxing
- improve entropy collection through extensive research and installation by default of jitterentropy-rngd
- research implications of spectre / meltdown / retpoline / L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF) vs Whonix
- Non-Qubes-Whonix: kloak – Keystroke Anonymization Tool
- Non-Qubes-Whonix: Whonix Live / Live Mode Indicator / grub-live / grub-default-live
- Non-Qubes-Whonix: switch desktop environment from KDE to XFCE (poll) (other desktop environments)
- Non-Qubes-Whonix: reduced image size using zerofree
- Whonix VirtualBox: CLI version (Whonix ™ with CLI is a version suited for advanced users – those who want Whonix ™ without a GUI.)
- Whonix VirtualBox: unified ova downloads
- Qubes-Whonix: change Qubes-Whonix default applications from KDE-ish to XFCE-ish
- Qubes-Whonix: simplify installation of VM kernel by installing the same recommended Qubes packages as Qubes Debian packages (source 1 (source 2)
- Whonix KVM: serial console support
- update sdwdate time sources
- List of processed Whonix 15 tickets
- arm64 / RPi port
- install by default zulucrypt, qtox, onionshare, keepassxc, firejail
- new usability wrappers: scurlget, curlget, pwchange, upgrade-nonroot, apt-get-noninteractive, apt-get-update-plus
- remove mixmaster, ricochet since dead upstream
- support for Bisq – The P2P Exchange Network
- port build script to cowbuilder; build packages in chroot and use mmdebstrap for better security
- add UsrMerge compatibility
Please report any other issues to us in the forums, after first searching for whether it is already known.
Download Whonix 15
Whonix is cross-platform and can be installed on the Windows, macOS, Linux or Qubes operating systems. Choose your operating system from the link below and follow the instructions to install it.